Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I'm Glad this happened

Experimental 1/2 Hour - Episode I: Princess Dies, Oregon Painting Society, Caldera Lakes from Experimental 1/2 Hour on Vimeo.


Interactions no one else will remember.
The girl in the 1st band "Princess Dies", I 1st met at some coffee shop in town and we talked about Crass (not my comic but the band) and how she saw a bunch of kids get nuts dancing to Crass's "Penis Envy" album on the street and how rad that was. I agreed. I was super inspired by that possibility. Some time later I saw her perform inside a geodesic dome at an event I contributed to. She had a band called "some weird sin" which had the same aesthetic as this but with more noise and a different and older male half. I remember the name because the song; its origin comes from is one of my all time favorites by Iggy Pop. This juxtaposition of that name, my feeling for the name/song and a girl screaming about cooking dinner and washing for some asshole lover was amazing.
The second group, "Oregon Painting society" is one of my largest sources of current time inspiration.
I was recently reminded of them after I found a copy of a new comic/art collection called "Mould Map" which featured one of its members Brenna Murphy (who made the amazing video below as well). Her page in the comic was amazing. I once saw another of Oregon Painters society members at a karaoke bar I was frequenting on Sundays for a stint. He got up decked in denim and a psychedelic baseball cap, with ratty hair crisply flowing from under it. He then with utter confidence and supernatural ease, performed "no woman no cry" but with new lyrics I believe he freestyled. The lyrics were about going to a cosmic central place with a being made of light and love, but kept Marley's chorus. This performance was insanely moving and inspiring. He made it very difficult for me to feel comfortable or rad enough to perform myself. He left, and I eventually performed Iggy Pops Lust for Life with four friends backing me in muppet voice, and I felt great again.
Inspiring moments I hope to never forget.

Conversation from Brenna Murphy on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment